Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Training with Yoda

When you have one of the top National Sprinting coaches in Canada taking interest in your running, you know you have struck pay-dirt !!

Three short weeks after placing third at the World Paratrithlon championships, I met Hugh Conlin.  With my trusty coach Helen Cooper by my side, Hugh asked if I would be interested in trying sprints - the 100m and the 200m.  I was a little shocked at the offer.  I even asked him, "are you certain I am talented enough to do sprints?"  He just laughed and told me not to worry about it.  Two short weeks later and I am starting my first ever sprinting session with this amazing person I have now dubbed YODA.  I have learned so much about good running technique in such a short time - it was awesome.  Sprinting is incredibly technical, completely powerful, and absolutely frightening all rolled up into one.  I was hooked.  Sprinting is not for the faint of heart, and it takes the courage of a lion to step into a starting block.

Its been 5 weeks since I started training with YODA.  This Saturday, I am going to do my first race.  I'm stoked.  I am going to have a great race and an even greater day.

To my good friend Helen (aka Obi-Wan Kenobi), thank you for believing in me, for taking a chance on me, and for allowing me to achieve amazing things on the track and out on the triathlon race course.  Together we will change the world one race at a time!!

No comments: