Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 1

Well hello everyone! First full day in the country and we have just learned that there is no access to Google or WI-Fi in this hotel. We are not certain if you can only access WI-Fi in Beijing. So my blog entries will be delayed.

The country is very beautiful. We are north of Beijing in a place called Changping. Nice area but the road system is under construction so it seems. Made the drive out here more like off-roading.

We have a decent room but it's not a double bed. It's two single beds. Smoke stains on the carpet so we wear our shoes all the time. Great ac though and nice linens. Beds are very hard. If you had a bad back you would be in heaven.

We will be out on the bike tomorrow and again in the pool. I hope to be able to do some running on site. The run route is all on top of a padded surface that is much like a track surface. This means that it is soft and will be much easier to run on.

Food is good just different. I will be carbo loading with rice. Not much in the way of sweets though but we got some amazing fruit at the local WalMart. Yes you heard me correctly. This place was huge and had everything you could think of including BEER. It was kind of like an LCBO inside the store. Curtis and Grant (another amputee Cdn racer) were checking out the scotch for after the race.

Curtis is running around in his underpants to keep cool. It's very very hot and humid here.

Got good news from the ITU today. I am going to be permitted to have someone at the bike dismount much to my relief. Just means that I won't need to find a safe crash zone to get off my bike. Yeah!!!! Also will be able to get red swim cap for swim exit. There is an assumption that all amputees can hop. In Canada the rehab centers discourage hopping since I broke my only good ankle because it has limited flexion. All to say that I am very glad that I asked the question in the first place.

That is all my news. Feeling ok and positive about the race. After the bike familiarization I will have a better feel for the race. I will post again tomorrow.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:China

No comments: