Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 3

Well it was an interesting day today. I spent most of the morning searching for a bike mechanic. I found the TriCan bike designate, Jay, who was able to get my rear derailler working again. I guess I should have protected and stabilized it better in my bike box given that the journey alone was bound to cause shifting inside the bike box. I also regret not getting my bike tuned up again right before we left Canada. I figured that I just had it tuned up before London UK four weeks ago, so did I really need to? WRONG WRONG WRONG! I should have kept to my normal race routine and had my bike tuned up. Even though we are deemed Elite we do not have access to the Canada elite support staff. Otherwise I would have had my bike repaired yesterday without issues.

While Jay was able to get my bike up and running, it's not finely tuned. Jay is a formula race car driver with a big heart and great tools. I am truly grateful for his help but I don't have confidence in my bike. So I am going to have to try and ride the Papa Hill tomorrow. Hopefully that part of the course won't be closed off.

Chinese security is starting to tighten up. I just got a note slipped under my door ordering me (well instructing) to attend a security screening at 1520 h. Oddly enough I will be at a TriCan meeting at the same time so I won't be able to make the timing. The note also states that the bus I am supposed take leaves the hotel 2 hours before the event! Sitting in a stadium for 2 hours and then participate in a 2-3 hour opening ceremony and pasta party, the evening of my race, is not that appealing. Security is so tight that I probably won't be able to leave at a decent time to return back to the hotel for a good night sleep. I guess I will have to make the call tomorrow as to whether or not I will participate in the opening ceremonies. It's too bad but such is the life of a racer. I came to race and represent Canada. It's a matter of priorities

I am feeling good today. I had a good run. My pace was a bit fast but that is ok. A case of pre-race jitters. I ran with Charles, our 74 yr old age grouper. He is in great shape and is racing sprint distance on Sunday. It's a definite must see for me. His lovely wife June volunteered to help as a Handler. A very nice couple. I am hoping that I can use Charlie as my aid at the bike dismount but I have to wait until tomorrow for a ruling from the ITU. The ITU might simply assign a delegate of their choice. Regardless of who helps me as long as I know who the person is and that they know how to help me, I will be fine.

It's started to rain this evening. I am hoping that the weather system will pass us by this evening and that it will be dry tomorrow. Here's hoping that for once, I will race with good weather. I have participated in only three international races in short paratriathlon career. Each and every time it has poured rain...and not just a sprinkle here and there. It was an all out assault. One can only dream for good weather.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:China

No comments: