Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 5 - Race Day

I placed fourth!

This was the most demanding course I have ever raced. My training went well all summer but on the day, my training fell short of what I needed to climb the 8-10% grades over 500-800m of climbing and times that by 10 over the course of 23 km.

It was an amazing race. Well done China! I am glad I came and conquered the course but at the end of the day I did not have the proper equipment to climb these grades as an above the knee amputee. I should have changed out my front derailleur to a triple...just like all the other AK amputees. We need the granny gear to climb so I was taken on the hills and had no legs left for the run. It's unfortunate but nothing I can do about it now. My bike coach had thought that there was no grade over 2% and I took that info at face value. In hindsight, I should have done my own calculations.

Swim was ok but I was a bit off my rhythm. Got slammed at the start by the guys again. Oh well.

The run was ok but I had no legs left! Brutal run but I made it. I was never so happy to see the finish line.

Great experience and lots of lessons learned.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:China

No comments: